Automatic configuration #
- Many people will be able to connect by using the Windows built-in menus. To access the menus in Windows 11 go to the Start menu > Settings > Network & Internet
- Select Wi-Fi at the right.
- Make sure Wi-Fi is on
- Click Show available networks and select Eduroam from the list of wifi networks.
- Press Connect.
- You will be prompted for a username and password. Enter the full email address of your school.
- (Sometimes) If your computer has not yet encountered the certificate that encrypts the connection, it may show a Windows Security Alert warning that “The connection attempt could not be completed.”
- You can press a button to view Details.
- Press Connect to go on.
- Your school username and school password will be sent to your school for verification. If they work, your wifi will connect.
Manual configuration #
Some people may need to set up the connection manually:
- Open the list of wireless networks.
- Right click on any listed Eduroam networks and choose “Forget this network”. If it is not memorized, you will not have the menu, and can skip this.
- Open the Network and Sharing Center. You can reach it by going to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center,
- Click Set up a new connection or network.
- Click Manually connect to a wireless network.
- Click Next.
- Fill in the following information for the new network:
- Network Name: eduroam
- Security Type: WPA2-Enterprise
- Encryption Type: AES
- Click Next.
Result: The screen will say Successfully added Eduroam.
- On the following page, choose to Change connection settings.
- Click the Security tab. Network authentication method should be
Microsoft: Protected EAP (PEAP).
- Click Settings.
- Un-check the box labeled Automatically use my Windows logon….
Click OK on all boxes to close out and save the wireless settings.
- You should receive a notification asking for additional information. Click this notification anywhere to open the password dialog box.
- Users should enter their school account e-mail address. Click OK.
Note: If this process fails, please try to follow it one more time. Occasionally Windows wireless configuration utility loses the settings after the first setup.